Keep the Spirit's Fire Aflame Dan Hudson
1 Thessalonians only has two do not's and they are about the Holy Spirit. Dan spoke about how we must keep the fire of the Spirit going in our lives to move forward.
1 Thessalonians 5:14-22
These verses show the only two do not's from 1 Thessalonians, but rather than being restrictions, they are instructions on how we can have a life fuelled by the Holy Spirit.
1. "Do not quench the Spirit" (verse 19)
It is important that we don't put the Holy Spirit out and reduce it's role in our lives.
We must not:
The Holy Spirit in our lives. This would prevent us from acting and believing in Jesus and would grieve the Spirit which is seen as an unforgivable sin. (Matthew 12:31)
2. "Do not treat prophecies with contempt" (verse 21)
We must do the three W's:
In the Spirit, giving time for prophecy and valuing all gifts of the Spirit.
- What are some ways we may quench the spirit in our lives, and why is it important that we don't do that? Refer to the verses.
- How can we welcome the Spirit in our lives, at church and outside of it?
- What are some promises God has given you in your life that you're trying to walk in?
- Give some time and space for the Spirit to come in your group and for people to grow in spiritual gifts.